Skip to main content

Glug.

The title of this blog post is, not accidentally, the same title as the drinks board of my personal Pinterest page. It's not intended to be cutesy or to get more Pinterest followers...no, this word is special to me because I think it is the sound I make when I am absolutely enamored with a drink and cannot get enough of it into my body. We're all suffering through this summer heat together, so you may as well text your friends to come over and make some of these awesome, customize-able drink recipes and have a party!

Blackberry Arnold Palmer

Ingredients:
- 8 Bags Black Tea
(My favorite kind ever is this one, but guess what? Lipton stopped making it and now they've replaced it with a red-dye-ridden vanilla version. Blech!)
- 8 Whole Lemons
- 1/2 Cup Blackberries
- 4 Tbsp Maple Syrup (to taste)
- 8 Cups Purified Water

Directions:
Take a moment to bitterly stare at the expired Amazon listing for the Lipton Blackberry Tea. Cry for your unhappiness over this. Then begin by adding the lesser tea bags into a pitcher with the filtered/purified water. The water doesn't need to be hot- nothing seems worse than brewing hot tea and waiting for it to cool and then inevitably being unable to wait and adding ice cubes to it, resulting in diluted tea. Let the tea steep while you're squeezing the lemons. Stir it all around and then begin adding the maple syrup, one tbsp at a time. I use the ratio from the Master Cleanse (which I will never, ever do again because it made me cry and throw up and after 3 days I laid in bed barely able to slurp down chicken tortilla soup because I was so weak and my head hurt so badly...but that is a story for another time) which is 1 tbsp of maple syrup for every 1 whole lemon. When you're ready to serve the lemonade, add the blackberries to the mixture. They'll begin to blanch after 6 hours or so. You're in a safe window that they won't blanch (and let's be honest, they're still delicious when they're all lemony waterlogged) if you drink this over the course of an afternoon or evening. Impress your friends further by adding a sprig of thyme to each glass, and enjoy!


Cucumber Lime Soda

Ingredients:
- 1 Whole Cucumber, sliced thin
- 4 Whole Limes, juiced
- 1 Liter Seltzer Water
- 1 Can Lemon Lime Soda (optional. Also I am obviously talking about 7up, not Sprite, because it is infinitely superior.)

Directions:
This is an easy one. Slice everything. Squeeze everything. Pour it in a pitcher and serve. I love this recipe because it looks beautiful in a glass over ice with a cute paper straw that you perhaps bought on Etsy for a ridiculous $8 per pack of 12 because they were just THE CUTEST STRAWS YOU'VE EVER SEEN and you were positive because they were gold with stars that Beyonce owned them, too. Keep in mind that this recipe does have a short lifespan, and I'm all about knowing how long I have before my food/drink is over, so drink up while you can because it will be flat the next day.


Lavender Mint Lemonade

Ingredients:
- 1 Tsp Dried Lavender (if you can get fresh, use 4-5 sprigs)
- 8 Whole Lemons
- 1 Cup Sugar. Let's not play around with Maple for this one.
- 4 Cups Water
- 10 Fresh Mint Leaves

Directions:
Make sure you have a comfortable chair outdoors (or indoors, if you have an aversion to bugs and anxiety about potential accidental interaction with neighbors, like I do) to sit and luxuriate in this tasty beverage. Then, begin juicing the lemons. Simmer 1 cup water with 1 cup sugar in a saucepan over medium heat to make simple syrup. When the sugar is dissolved entirely, let the mixture cool. When it has cooled to room temperature, mix together lavender, lemon juice, simple syrup, water, and mint leaves. If you'd like to muddle the mint, you can, but since I'm not entirely sure what muddling even does and I only like the mint for the very light flavor it adds, it's not necessary. Salud!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Thanksgiving Girl!

One year ago, I was clinging to the hope that I would become the mother I so desperately knew I already was.  I didn't know what it felt like to have my arms ache so badly after a mere trip around the grocery store. I had never gone without sleep for longer than a few all-nighters during finals.  I still held onto the notion that I could never love anyone the way I loved my dog. I was praying for strength for myself and my family. And at this time last year,  I was also praying fervently for the first mother my daughter had. Then and now, I believed wholeheartedly in her ability to parent and raise this daughter of ours. I would step in and do my best if she called me, but I had hope for her, too. If she changed her mind, it wouldn't be a tragedy for that little girl. 48 hours after her birth, Amelia's first mother, who wrote OUR last name on the birth certificate, signed a paper saying we were her parents. Forever. She made the bravest choice and a loving decision for her

The Not Funny Stuff

It brings me so much joy to know I can make some of you smile with my motherhood disaster stories. I promise that I laugh every single day in spite of the craziness that is two kids one year apart. But I've also been given a teeny tiny platform and an even smaller soapbox to climb on occasionally and speak my truth from. I'm grateful for that opportunity because as scary as honesty may be, I want to share the not funny stuff. From NBC and onward, I learned that living openly had the power to touch more lives than slapping a smile on my face and answering "I'm doing great!" whenever people ask how I'm surviving.   The truth is, as every parenting/mothering/toddlering/newborning blog will tell you, this time is not easy . It is really hard and lonely. It's squats and lunges for your character.  People say unsolicited things to mothers with complete abandon and total disregard for how they might make a very fragile person feel. I'm guilty of this, t

Six Months

When I think about the fact that, as of today, I've been a mother for six months, I feel surprised. Such a short period of time, and yet it contains a lengthy list of changes. I was a mom long before I ever had a child that shared my last name. So is every other woman who longs for a child but cannot or has not been able to have one. It seems as if there is no way someone that was so recently a teeny tiny bundle of cells could change my life so completely in only half a year. But she did.  And now, here we are, preparing for another baby to arrive by Christmas. I know the general opinion on a pregnancy after adoption is that we should be overjoyed at such a miracle. Don't get me wrong- WE ARE. But, I made peace with my infertility diagnosis. When Millie was born, my need to conceive a child of my own evaporated. I saw her as my own daughter, no different than if I had given birth to her myself, and it didn't matter that she didn't share mine or Eric's physical fe