Skip to main content

Dallas Food Truck Crawl

There is no better way to spend a weekend afternoon than to go on a food crawl, in my opinion. Whether it's doing an around-the-world theme in a food court or waking up early to try eggs benedict from 3 different brunch places, I am always down for some marathon eating and a seriously gassy nap afteward. So today, as my husband and I were driving home from donating some items and time to Operation Kindness (a no-kill shelter in Dallas, and a great place to ADOPT A DOG please excuse this shameless plug), we saw a large food truck rally in the parking lot by the shops at Park Lane. He didn't need to even ask if I was interested, and soon we were running through the parking garage to get to the trucks ASAP. I read on twitter that there was over an hour wait at each truck at Frisco StrEATs the day before, and I was not about to wait that long for some grub.

There were over so many trucks there! We targeted Easy Slider, Gennarino's, Short-N-Sweet, and Nammi. I was hoping to see Ssahm BBQ, which has the most incredible kimchee fries that I could swim in for hours, happily burning my skin off with sriracha sauce, but I'll have to post some pictures of their spicy goodness when I track them down another day.

Best In Show: We started off at Easy Slider. I've had their sliders once before, and Mama likes a familiar starter.

My husband and I had The Classic, The Roadside, The Sweet & Lowdown, and The French Revolution ($3.50 each). I love the little gherkin that comes on top of The Classic- but other than that, it's a great slider that needs a little ketchup. I'd rather try their much more adventurous and amazingly successful combinations, like the Sweet & Lowdown, that combines goat cheese, strawberry jam, crispier than crisp bacon, and a ground beef slider. There's a little slice of strawberry on the skewer that just makes it so pretty.
I could eat this slider once a day. Maybe twice. The slider isn't overcooked, as so many sliders tend to be. If you're going to do a food truck with one specialty, make it the best, and Easy Slider does just that. Everyone walking up to the truck was ordering at least one Sweet & Lowdown. Another notable success was The French Revolution. My husband is cheating on me with prosciutto, so he had to have a bite of this slider with gruyere, prosciutto, and tender onions. The spicy pickle slice on top is a wonderful victory for all burgerkind.

Mr. Congeniality Award: I first heard about Gennarino's on Facebook. A friend I went to middle school with and once traveled to England with on a choir trip posted something about her husband's family's food truck. Did you follow that? Good. I had heard amazing things, so I thought I'd give them a try. Ladies, if you want to find some charming Italian men with cute accents and delicious food, please go find this truck. But don't hit on my friend's husband. I won't be responsible for that. Anyway, this guy made my day. I understood every other word he said, but he understood everything I said, and recommended that I try Granny's sandwich ($7).


The sauce- to die for. I only wished it had been a little hotter! I wanted it to drip down my chin and singe off any unwanted facial hair. The bread is also to be noted- solid enough to hold a sandwich together, soft enough to hork down an unladylike bite. The pork shoulder in the sandwich is something to write home about- tender and juicy as if it's been simmered for hours. I love a good Sunday Sauce. This one would be perfect if warmed up more.


Best Import: Short N Sweet's truck is by far the tiniest little truck on the block, with the biggest line all day! People were standing there for seconds, and maybe thirds, of the paletas they carry, brought in from San Marcos Paleteria. My husband is a connosieur of paletas, Mexican popsicles, and is a rice pudding fanatic, so he was practically dragging me over to the truck. We were greeted by one half a dynamite husband and wife duo, affectionately named "Pebbles and Bam". They were friendly and funny and they gave me the best strawberries-n-cream paleta I've ever had ($3 each, $5 for 2- the only truck with a price break for buying more than 1!). Not too sweet, not to sour, with plenty of frozen strawberries to bite into. It was a windy day, so half of it ended up on my pants, which our dog, Zooey, gladly licked off. I will definitely be tracking them down for cool treats this summer!



Thirst Quencher: I love the wide array of Mexican cokes, sugar cane Dr. Peppers, and various waters in glass bottles at each of these food trucks, but if I want to wash down my food, I have to get the Mint Lemonade from Nammi Truck ($3). It is the only truck that offers a specialty beverage and it is not to be missed.

Do not let this red cup fool you. It may look like nothing, but it is a delectable little treat and I haven't asked anyone, but I think it makes your breath smell better. I ate a lot of onions today and my husband didn't complain about my breath once. He might be polite, but probably not. Drink this if you are on a food truck date. And guys- don't take a girl on your first date to a food truck no matter how often she tells you she's just a casual girl, not like other girls. She is like other girls. Take her on a second date to a food truck...but I digress. The mint is subtle and the lemonade helps cool down any spicy food you might have eaten. It's not the kind of lemonade that makes your teeth hurt and you immediately start coughing after drinking it- not too syrupy or pulpy. It's perfect. Trust me, I spent many a summer day in my childhood hand squeezing lemons and subsequently apologizing to my mother about the thick layer of dried simple syrup that covered our kitchen floor. I am no Crystal Light girl. I need genuine lemonade, and even if this comes from a mix (I don't know for sure), it doesn't taste like it. It'd be a great mocktail for a mama-to-be craving a mojito! Just try it. Don't let me go on any more. I'm embarassing myself with how much I love this lemonade.

Handomest Guy There: My husband. Here is a gratuitious shot of him eating the Sweet & Lowdown in 1 and a half bites. That's why I married him, ladies.


If You MUST Be Healthy: I saw this menu. It had vegetables on it. I didn't eat it, and no one was in line there, HOWEVER I tend to think that was based on the fact that the menu was complicated and didn't sound like easy-to-eat street food. I'd be interested in trying them on a less windy day. Here's a picture of the menu. Fried avocado sounds pretty delicious, right? I'll have to see for myself next time. Sorry, guys.


A very successful day for our stomachs and wallets. While nothing in Dallas is ever cheap, this was money well spent on food worth having.

A few disclaimers about this review: I don't want to be mean about anyone's food. I'm not a food critic, and I've been told that my food taste can be overwhelming- I like a big variety of textures and flavors combined to wake up my taste buds. If I'm going to eat food out of something that is powered by diesel, I don't expect it to be healthy, but I do expect it to be hot, fresh, and delicious. I think that you should track these trucks down on twitter and in real life and try their food no matter what I say about them. You may have a completely different experience. I am grateful for all these trucks allowing me to photograph them and ask them about the ingredients they use. Thanks guys!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Thanksgiving Girl!

One year ago, I was clinging to the hope that I would become the mother I so desperately knew I already was.  I didn't know what it felt like to have my arms ache so badly after a mere trip around the grocery store. I had never gone without sleep for longer than a few all-nighters during finals.  I still held onto the notion that I could never love anyone the way I loved my dog. I was praying for strength for myself and my family. And at this time last year,  I was also praying fervently for the first mother my daughter had. Then and now, I believed wholeheartedly in her ability to parent and raise this daughter of ours. I would step in and do my best if she called me, but I had hope for her, too. If she changed her mind, it wouldn't be a tragedy for that little girl. 48 hours after her birth, Amelia's first mother, who wrote OUR last name on the birth certificate, signed a paper saying we were her parents. Forever. She made the bravest choice and a loving decision for her

Six Months

When I think about the fact that, as of today, I've been a mother for six months, I feel surprised. Such a short period of time, and yet it contains a lengthy list of changes. I was a mom long before I ever had a child that shared my last name. So is every other woman who longs for a child but cannot or has not been able to have one. It seems as if there is no way someone that was so recently a teeny tiny bundle of cells could change my life so completely in only half a year. But she did.  And now, here we are, preparing for another baby to arrive by Christmas. I know the general opinion on a pregnancy after adoption is that we should be overjoyed at such a miracle. Don't get me wrong- WE ARE. But, I made peace with my infertility diagnosis. When Millie was born, my need to conceive a child of my own evaporated. I saw her as my own daughter, no different than if I had given birth to her myself, and it didn't matter that she didn't share mine or Eric's physical fe

The Not Funny Stuff

It brings me so much joy to know I can make some of you smile with my motherhood disaster stories. I promise that I laugh every single day in spite of the craziness that is two kids one year apart. But I've also been given a teeny tiny platform and an even smaller soapbox to climb on occasionally and speak my truth from. I'm grateful for that opportunity because as scary as honesty may be, I want to share the not funny stuff. From NBC and onward, I learned that living openly had the power to touch more lives than slapping a smile on my face and answering "I'm doing great!" whenever people ask how I'm surviving.   The truth is, as every parenting/mothering/toddlering/newborning blog will tell you, this time is not easy . It is really hard and lonely. It's squats and lunges for your character.  People say unsolicited things to mothers with complete abandon and total disregard for how they might make a very fragile person feel. I'm guilty of this, t